Volunteer for the Greater Vancouver Japanese Canadian Citizens’ Association (GVJCCA)
Volunteering is about choosing to act in recognition of a need, and giving time, effort, and talent without concern for monetary compensation. It’s about working together with others in pursuit of a common goal. Volunteers are the heart of a non-profit organization.
GVJCCA has many opportunities for volunteering including events, translating, administrative, and committee work. Your time commitment depends upon the area of your interest. For example, you may choose to help out at an event, and if it is an annual event then it is set in a particular month with a possible orientation meeting prior to the event.
Examples of annual events:
Keirokai – January
Bowl-a-thon – February
Asian Heritage Month – May
Golf Tournament - June
Wild Salmon Barbeque and SPAM Musubi Sushi Food Booth at Powell Street Festival – BC Long Weekend July/August
What can you contribute?
• Knowledge and interest in the Japanese Canadian community.
• Desire to contribute time, effort and talent to the GVJCCA.
• Responsibility and reliability.
• Prior food experience if interested in working at the food booth. FoodSafe is an asset.
• You enjoy working with people, and customer service experience is an asset.
• Administrative skills if interested helping with administrative work.
• Marketing and fundraising experience.
• Ability to communicate in English. Fluency in Japanese would be an asset.
• Experience with interpretation and translation, and fluency in English and Japanese if interested in interpreting and translating. Skill to be tested.
For more information, please call 604-777-5222 or email email@example.com